Thursday, October 31, 2013

Returning to NY

After a few weeks hiatus, I returned to NYC. When I landed, I didnt want a taxi ride, I took the bus. A 3.5 yr German Boy seated next to me kept speaking about one wasser or the other (bottle, the marshes of NJ) and I left with  a "Spaß haben in NY", everyone should feel at home here. There is a moment when the bus emerges from the tunnel and cruises the canyons of Manhattan and I was reminded,  this land is my land and this land is your land. Also, I took the subway (local of course) and you see people in grey and black clothes moving frantically, but just being, not "changing the world", and that is the point. When I finally emerged to walk on the streets, I was reminded of the moment when you plug the veins from a beating heart into a silent one, the blood rushes in, and the beat goes down the vein from one and another, and the two hearts beat, in loud thumps. That is how one feels, walking on the sidewalks, with the many beats of heels and hearts. This is NY, it is Halloween, and this evening, the city will throw a party and a parade. 

3 Comments:

Anonymous D. Eppstein said...

The Lou Reed song Halloween Parade seems particularly appropriate this year.

9:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi D.E.

Thanks for the ode of a ref to my Tribeca neighbor Lou Reed,

RIP:
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music-arts/lou-reed-velvet-underground-musician-dead-71-article-1.1498187
I am still reeling from this.

The song is at:
http://gothamist.com/2013/10/31/revisit_lou_reeds_perfect_ode_to_th.php
The song is a must-know.

I am glad the parade is on this year.

-- Metoo

3:38 PM  
Blogger Luca Aceto said...

The whole of New York is excellent. I loved that record. IMHO, it was a return to form for Lou Reed. R.I.P.

10:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home