Sunday, December 03, 2006

Lost in Movies

When I was growing up, the only entertainment was movies. Much like the postwar world elsewhere, I was in love with going to watch movies at the theater, and some days watched upto three different shows. Late nite movies were my favorite. But I am all grown up now and it has been several years since I watched movies without a break of multiple days between them. And a long time since I watched a late, late, movie. Last nite, I managed to snatch a moment from the past when I went to see the midnite show of The Lost Highway by David Lynch. Like most people in the audience at the IFC theater, I had seen the movie before of course. We were there to relive the magic moments of madness in the movie, and to immerse in the the Lou Reed-David Bowie-Rammstein-Marilyn Manson soundtrack, sweeter than wine, softer than the summer's night. The movie is a fugue, an enigma, and the web has many sites interpreting it for you. But it is best seen, sitting in a movie theater with loud speakers.
    ED
What's your axe?

FRED
Tenor... Tenor saxophone. Do you...

ED
(shakes his head)
Tone deaf.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That brings back memories for me...although they aren't of late-night movies, but rather of a TV in a dorm basement. Nearly ten years ago now, too.

2:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home