Sunday, March 12, 2006

Modern dance

I watched the Mark Morris Dance Group perform at the BAM. Usually I like watching contemporary dance in a small space where I can not only see the definition of body, shape and muscles of the dancers, but also hear the thump of their bare feet on the wooden floors, their silenced breathing, the swirl of their sweat, toss of their hair and the minute russles of their clinging clothes. The 10 or so other audience members also experience it, and believe me, in NY city the audience is equally theatrical and notices everything. The MMDG's performance was in a large opera hall at the BAM and consequently, seemed so much more sanitized. It was still exciting. I got a sense for the weird geometry of their motion in groups with overlapping spirals that shrunk, collpased, regrew and merged.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home