Friday, August 10, 2012

Personal, homepage and stuff Indian

Bruce Maggs jokes that he used to know me when I was Indian. :)  I, of course, am an Indian, was always an Indian, as Frost would have said.  For personal and family reasons, I am going to be India-focused for the next few years, spending time between US and Bangalore.  I will insure this does not change anything work/social for most of my contacts,  so let me go past this announcement and say something potentially more interesting:
  • I had a Web -1.0 homepage from 2002. Thanks to Sandy (Technicolor), I now have an updated homepage, check it out. It should render nicely on tablet and phone, laptop and desktop.
  • Bruce Maggs stumped me with this frustrating challenge: Name an Indian, living now in India and known to many people in US. 

9 Comments:

Blogger Sandilya Bhamidipati said...

I think more people in the US know "slum dog millionaire" than any other Indian. What do you say?

10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Agreed. Spoke like a true Technicolor person, morphing the question from person to movie.

-- Metoo

1:03 PM  
Blogger Girish said...

Nice look to the new site! Do you know what was used?

3:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Answer to question #2, off the top of my head:
Ravi Kannan
Manindra Agrawal
Sriram Rajamani
Venkata Padmanbhan

6:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"known to many people in US" is subjective :-) Scientists will be known to scientists, politicians to politicians, and so on. You should probably qualify the category more.

That said, I have observed that people in the US only tend to focus on US-related news, so it is very unlikely that they will know many people in India, e.g., given a random sample of 100 people, I don't expect more than 5 people to know the name of India's prime minister and president.

7:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Girish: look at the page source, it has all the info you need.

Sandy: if I changed the question, name a movie made by an inidan director now living in India, you will find it a challenge.

Anon 1: I understand your answer, but the question was about regular folks in US, not necessary CS or even researchers.

Anon2: Bruce Magg's question is interestig and frustrating because of the "many people in US" as broadly as you read it. In fact, your observation is what leads to discussions like, "what if we replaced Indian by Candian or a Brit or ..."

-- Metoo

2:46 PM  
Blogger Jinyun said...

Ask the phone company in India, who made or received the most calls between USA and Indian.

Check the online connection from twitter, facebook, linkedin, google+, replace each user node by country. find out the india node which has the most indegree from usa

1:58 PM  
Blogger Kshipra said...

How about Aishwarya Rai. She appeared on a lot of late night talk shows like Opera and Dave Letterman.

12:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"for personal and family reasons".. That's a very un Indian way of thinking. :) Indians don't make the distinction between personal and familial.

6:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home