Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Women Flicks

Coincidentally I watched 8 femmes, Memoirs of Geisha, and Bonneville recently, let us just say I did not have a choice, being strapped down inside a large metallic tube at 30000 ft. These have different cultural contexts, french, japanese and north american resp. Still, they have one thing in common: they load up on stars. 8 femmes has nearly every french actress I know including Catherine Deneuve, Emmanuelle Beart, (my fave from this near-real time movie) Virginie Ledoyen and Ludivine Sagnier. Memoirs of Geisha has nearly all Asian actresses I know including Gong Li, Michelle Yeoh and the incomparable Ziyi Zhang. Bonneville loads up too, including Jessica Lange, Kathy Bates and Joan Allen. What's the deal.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ziyi Zhang is hot!

6:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe it makes up for the much greater number of films that have no women in them (or women only as love interests for the men).

Another one I like, for exactly this reason, the contrast of an (almost) all-female ensemble cast against the too-typical all-male cast, is Almodovar's Todo sobre mi madre.

5:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Todo sobre mi madre rocked.

One of my faves, the (almost) all-male atypical cast of Glengarry Glen Ross.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104348/

-- metoo

2:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home