Saturday, June 20, 2015

Organic

In early 90's, I followed the emergence of organic fruits and vegetables, and that meant, at that time, buying uneven, knarly, deformed fruits (apples!) at the east village buying club/coop because being organic meant you couldnt grow the fruits to be picturesque like in the regular supermarkets. Now I go to Rainbow grocery and the fruits are so perfect textbook that I need to check their product code to be sure they are organic (shld start with a "9").  What happened?

PS: I remember an old standup comedian quipping, "I see three types of gas in the station, leaded, unleaded, premium, but I see only one gasoline truck that stops by each week to refill the tanks in the station." 

3 Comments:

Blogger Vinod said...

Stores tend to discard "imperfect-looking" vegetables and fruits because they don't sell. So much so that there are stores (in France, I hear) that sell such imperfect fruits and vegetables. See this: http://itm.marcelww.com/inglorious/

6:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some Saturday, head over to the Alemany farmers market. You'll like it.

9:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anon: I do go to Alemany FM and like it. It is sometimes a challenge separating organic from non-organic. Vinod: great link! Anon+Vinod: What surprises me is how majority of organic product is textbook like in its perfection.

8:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home