Friday, January 28, 2011

Teaching Algorithms: Personal

Semester has started. In my first lecture in the graduate algorithms class (overflowing by factor 1.6, and factor 2 if you consider the waiting list), I saw a student I recognized from the same course 2 years ago, arrive and sit in the rear of the class. As I proceeded with the 3 hour monster of a lecture, I tried to put the mystery of this student away in my mind. During the break, the student came up to me and said they liked my lectures and just wanted to experience my first lecture. The student's life had of course moved on in the interim with triumphs in other classes and internships, and was on the threshold of a career. I was deeply moved and thankful. I credit the material of course, it is difficult to be NOT interesting while teaching Algorithms.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is there a link to the class webpage, material etc.?
If the material is so good, perhaps I should teach it myself...but I'm sure it has to do the teacher as well!

12:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is a homepage for the course 513 I teach, but the material is, universally, Algorithms. In nearly every lecture, you can include a nugget of a clever algorithm or a nifty analysis, or whatever. I teach 3 hr class per week. Chances that a student does not hear one creative thing a week is small.

-- Metoo

10:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home