Homage to Friends & Movies
Stefan Langerman and Luigi Laura are movie fanatics, able to gather and gobble large number of movies and moods. I tried to pull a luigi or a stefan and watched Beat the Drum, Shadows in the Sun, Jakeob ui Jeongseok, Chokher Bali, Malek wa Ketaba, all during a single flight.
- Beat the Drum: Sweet story of a Zula boy going to Johannesburg in search of his uncle, amidst the "curse".
- Shadows in the Sun: Harvey Keitel tries his best, so does the fine Italian backdrop, but the movie of an author with a writer's block hiding from the world is stabbed by the script, other performances and the silly music, Claire Forlani notwithstanding.
- Chokher Bali: Tagore's story massacred. Individual scenes in serious stress.
- Malek wa Ketaba: Egyptian tale, modern, very modern. Hind (Hend?) Sabri sparkles.
- Jakeob-ui Jeongseok: What fun. Technically a romantic comedy, but mainly, I liked the flawless looks and facade of the two leads being rippled by a series of episodes showing them in very much boy/girl petty urges.