Saturday, April 20, 2013

Indian Hiatus and Linguistics

It has been a while since I blogged, mainly because I have been more quantum than ever, focused on being at India for personal reasons.  I have been carrying many entries in my head, but alas,  if you dont blog them down, they are not real.

Here is humor for the fans of Indian vernacular. I found a way to stay in one of  Chettinad Mansions (some info). These are spectacular, super large multifamily homes, eerily empty, spread out in the South of India. I ate something amazing and asked for the recipe: the staff said, "Put one google". :)

I went to a tourist site and listened to the official audio tapes. And checked out some childrens books. Both these experiences reminded me that what India needs is new vernacular and narrative. The language in these media is so antiquated, they dont give modern Indians a new way to see their past or their present. Finally, I saw a clique of monkeys and tried to feed bananas and mangos to the mothers with  little ones, defying the hierarchy of the two big males. That experiment in breaking social structure did not work out well. 

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry what's the connection between India needing new vernacular and narrative and the linguistics referred in the title?

9:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, connection is thin and not developed in the post but even if I did, I would have gone more into the "language" not "linguistics".

-- Metoo

8:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home